Saturday, September 1, 2012

Little Did We Know

August 27 was the day.  The ultrasound day.  I dread this day.  I have a feeling most pregnant women forced to overflow their bladder and then have someone press on your stomach for an extended period of time, never quite knowing if you're going to pee your pants or not dread ultrasound day.  It's been a whille since I've had to have an ultrasound.  I knew I had an extremely small bladder.  I knew I should NOT drink the recommended amount.  But I failed.  I drank two cups an hour and a half before my appointment.  45 minutes later my bladder was full.  UGH!  Do I emty and refill it ???  I decided yes.  I emtied it and drank two more glasses.  Well that just wasn't smart.  Before we had even left, 45 minutes later, it was painfully full again.  Now I had to endure the 20-minute drive to Lethbridge.  We had 5 minutes to go and the tears came.  I was in so much pain....but more importantly, I for real thought I was going to pee my pants.  Stephen was trying to be as supportive as possible.  But I needed silence.  I had to focus on making it to McDonalds so I could book it in and pee.  I was a woman on a mission when I entered that McDonalds.  For a split second I freaked out thinking there wouldn't be an open stall.  What if?!?!?  Luckily I didn't have to answer that question.  I did my business and we carried on down the road.  Of course I was worried that I wouldn't have a full enough bladder because I've emptied it TWICE now.  So in the parking lot i took a gulp out of my water bottle.  I then proceeded to empty another cup in the office before my appointment. 

Luckily I didn't have to wait long and we got started right away.  With quite possibly the worst ultrasound tech ever.  I wanted a young tech SO BAD because I knew they would be nice.  Nope.  Of course not.  Why would I be so lucky??  It' not like I just had a horrible morning and I deserved a break.  Oh well.  If any of you know Stephen, he's chatty.  He's  inquisitive.  He's curious.  He had a million and one comments and questions during the exam.  haha  I love it.  The tech acted like he wasn't even in the room!!  She was so rude.  She wouldn't answer any of his questions or even give him the time of day.  Probably didn't help he was calling her by the wrong name the whole time.  haha  The J-A part of her name tag was covered and so he just assumed JANELLE  was DANIELLE.  simple mistake. 

Anyway, the exam went well.  We tried to call the raymond clinic the next day to see if they would give us the results but the results were ONLY going to my lethbridge doc, not my family doc...and she was out of town for two more days.  The morning she was back in the office I called for the results.  The british front desk lady seemed more than perturbed that I was calling and said they would call me back sometime that day as they were very busy.  Well, excuuuuuse me for wanting to know what gender my baby is!  I was annoyed.  So of course they call while we were out at swimming lessons, so Stephen called to see if they would tell me just quick right then since we missed the call.  Well, that would just be asking too much wouldn't it.  It was 11:45.  Apparently they decided to take an early lunch.  Stephen called back at exactly 1:15 when they reopened, and got all the warmth that british receptionist had to offer.  Which was none....followed by a click of the phone hanging up.  JUST TELL ME WHAT I'M HAVING!!  I was SO annoyed.  Finally at 3:45, 5 minutes before my phone would have been busy because I had to go to work, the nicest lady in the world called.  For real this time.  She was full of sunshine.  And she FINALLY gave me the glorious news. 

We felt pretty confident that this babe was a girl.  This pregnancy has been sooo different. I was waaaay sicker, which compared to Balian just means I was sick.  With Balian I knew honestly from the day we found out I was pregnant that it was a boy.  This one I had absolutely no inkling or motherly intuition as to what it was....which left me to believe it was a girl.  The only logical answer, right?  Apparently I've been extremely moody the point of the only explanation must be that I have a large excess of estrogen surging through my body.  Then we went to ultrasound and the baby looked nothing like Balian.  WE could tell right away with Balian that he was a boy.  He wasn't shy about a thing.  This is what we got with this babe. 

Now, you tell me that's not a girl.  It's not a girl.  IT'S  A BOY!!!
We were completely shocked.  We thought for sure it was a girl.  I was sad for about a millisecond.  Then I was soooo excited for Balian to have a little brother.  They'll be best buds.  I love being a mom to boys.  I think it suits me.  But don't get me wrong, I want a little girl more than anything.  Just one.  That's all I ask.  And we've vowed to not give up until we have one.....unless we get five boys.  Then I'm done. 

So there's our little munchkin!! Cute as ever!


  1. Aw, congrats! I know how you feel, I was completely convinced this time was a boy . . . wrong. Oh well, I hope one day you get your girl and I get my boy! ha.

  2. So exciting, you must be better than me because I'm convinced I had a girl because I couldn't handle 2 boys (especially Clelland size boys).